Friday, November 18, 2011

Success with sadness.

Why is it that the conclusion of an effort, even a successful one, often comes with some sadness. Sure, if it flopped you feel embarrassment and some sadness but when the event was a hit why does sadness sit in the backseat of the celebration bus? I remember the births of my children being highlights of my life but in the back of my mind was the seed of sadness that someday they would leave me and start their own life, hopefully with success.  I have long suspected this effect is a root cause of my chronic inability to complete projects. Another possibility is that I am subject to critical review upon completion. As long as it remains unfinished there is still room to change it.  A perfectionist who can't make a project live up to her ideal might refuse to submit something for critique believed to be inferior.  I guess the crafters of the great cathedrals didn't have this problem and I contend they created a lot of perfection. Here is a pic of Notre Dame from the Sienne taken in September 12, 2011.
Today's effort: To keep a kitchen clean while making applesauce. Every time you turn around there is another dish to wash and more sticky stuff to wipe up.  Don't even ask me about he floors.
Today's notables: 1. Mom & Dad's anniversary, happy 51st! 2. An earthquake in... Omak?  Yes! 4.6 at 5:09 a.m. only a few miles from our house: what a shocking way to wake up. 3. Successful end of OHS production of Little Shop of Horrors.  Brenna, you are a star!
Today's thank you: Thank you to my first Sunday school teacher, Mrs. Downey.  I don't think I could list or am even fully aware of the bricks in the foundation of faith you built in me.

2 comments:

  1. I love the "if at first you don't succeed....." subtitle to your blog. True stuff...here's to living it more than we don't.
    I was reading Yvonnes blog and decided to read her blog roll peeps. Fun to see yours. :)

    ReplyDelete