Sunday, November 27, 2011

Nuts!

Walnuts!  I'm so grateful that dad planted several trees in the yard. They are big and beautiful all summer and come fall they drop their tasty treats like allied bombs from heaven.  I can then send the kids out for a frugal version of an Easter egg hunt- I love the spring/fall symmetry.  The leaves are raked into the garden, effort rewarded with spiced cider and ginger snaps, so all that is left is the cracking.  Start a nice fire and pour a hot buttered rum (yes, there is still a little batter left in the fridge).  Armed with Grandma Sapp's cracker and one just like Mom had we can pop in a movie and crack till our hands hurt. At $8 to $10 a pound, more if it passes for "organic", it makes a great Christmas gift for those who appreciate the flavor and the hours of work put into freeing the flesh from captivity. Thanks again Dad, I hope you and Mom enjoy your bag of walnuts - collected and cracked with love from our family to yours!
Today's effort:  Homemade candy boxes for my upcoming attempt at homemade chocolates. The box is made of two sheets of card stock and a template downloaded from czpapercrafts. I added a tab at the back, a greeting on the top, and used a paper punch to make the edge pretty (too bad it doesn't show in the picture).
Today's treat: Two days ago was asked out on a date by this really good looking, sweetheart of a man I met.  Of course I said yes, and blushed.  We went out for dinner at a new restaurant and then I brought him home with me. Yes, I met him over 22 years ago and he comes home every night to me but it was still a fun date.
Today's noteable: Dishwasher, I'm really glad when you work. Yes, I had taken you for granted, forgive me. Now that you are back to work I will over-stuff you again, neglect you again, but quietly thank God I don't have to stand for hours at the sink washing, rinsing and drying all because you are my slave. Ryann, I'm referring to the box held captive to the right of the sink, not you dear.  I can see why you would wonder though.  Thank you too.

1 comment:

  1. Great post sis, not sure why it only showed up on my link this morning, I have been checking every day."Box held captive to the right of the sink" I love this phrase! The box looks pretty and the nut cracking fun. Hugs.

    ReplyDelete